Today we set up the greenhouse for the season. It is a pre-fabricated green house with a fairly generic design that is less than perfect, but it does work pretty well. We got the greenhouse from friends of ours about five years ago and have replaced the plastic once in that time. We learned early on that this particular plastic does not hold up very well to the elements, so we only keep it on through the end of spring. At that point we turn the greenhouse into a trellis for vining plants. This year we will be growing cucumbers up the south facing side of the greenhouse.
The major problem with the design of this greenhouse is the way the skeletal piping fits together. There is no locking mechanism or anything to keep pressure on the joints where pipes meet. The greenhouse has always been very wobblie and has had a habit of falling apart. Not anymore. I spent the morning making permanent connections on all the pipe junctions on the greenhouse. Using a 1/8 inch cobalt drill bit, I drilled holes and then hand threaded in sheet metal screws. The greenhouse has never been so stable. Even though I discourage it, I believe my kids could now use it as a jungle gym.
As mentioned in a previous post, we have already started some transplants in the basement under lights. This year I really want to try starting some seeds in the greenhouse, rather than using it as a place to just harden off transplants. So tomorrow while I am cooking down more maple syrup, we will hopefully start more onions, tomatoes, okra, beets and who knows what else. This has already been an exciting spring, and we are just a week into it. Cheers!